When you look at a squirrel, you can never imaging that a small animal with such cute looks, can cause tremendous damage. The charm of squirrels is a disguise in which they can clear up all your bird feeders and other food items in no-time.
However, biggest threat from these animals are not the nuisance they create, but the potential of diseases they can cause to the humans. Therefore, it’s essential to catch them when they enter your house and release them at a suitable location. If you are facing difficulty in catching squirrels, then the information below would help you a lot.
How to catch a squirrel?
1. The first thing that you need to do is choose an appropriate trap to catch a squirrel. Choose a trap that has length of 24 inches, height of 9 inches, and width of 9 inches.
2. The trap must have a door on either ends, and they must be up. Therefore, when squirrel sees the trap he would be able to see through it, which increases the chances of squirrel to get inside the trap.
3. Selecting the right bait is significant as it would be an important factor in getting the attention of squirrel. Therefore, choose from its like peanuts, orange, sliced apple, grains, and sunflower seeds.
4. Attach the bait selected by you to the inside of the trap with soft twine. Bait should be nearly 6 inches above the ground level, as it would help in sending the scent of the bait to a farther distance.
5. Now set the trap carefully in a place where squirrel is seen frequently. When placing the trap make sure that both the doors of the trap are opened.
6. You must not expect squirrel to take the bait immediately. They are cautious animals and thus it’s necessary that you keep the trap with bait for a long time and keep examining it twice every day. If the quality of your bait deteriorates with time, then replace it with fresh bait at proper intervals.
7. Once a squirrel has taken the bait two to three times, it means that you have gained his confidence, and the time has come to set the trap. So, set the trap and place it again.
8. Keep checking the trap every few hours. After you find that the squirrel is trapped you can leave the animal to a wooded area where he can live properly, but the area must be far from your house.
9. Sometimes due to improper setting-up of traps, animals tend to die when inside the trap. In such circumstances, you should use proper protection while disposing a dead squirrel. This would make sure that you are protected from any type of possible infection from the dead animal.
The method given above for catching the squirrel is used not only to be used by many people to catch and get rid of unwanted squirrels in their homes, but this process can also be used by squirrel lovers who want to catch this animal from the wild and keep it as a pet.